ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Wednesday, 24 June at 14:30

Margherita Di Giovannantonio mdgiovan at ictp.it
Tue Jun 16 16:16:08 CEST 2015

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2015

Wednesday, 24 June, at 14:30 hrs.

Mansoor Saburov (IIUM, Malaysia)

Title: Quadratic Stochastic Operators on Simplex

Abstract:In this talk, we first review some basic results of square
stochastic matrices concerning the convergence of power of square
stochastic matrix. We also discuss a linear operator associated with a
square stochastic matrix. This gives an advantage to interpret all
results by means of the language of dynamical system. In the second part
of this talk, we discuss on a cubic stochastic matrix. Unlike square
matrices, there is no proper multiplication of two cubic matrices in
which the dimension of matrices would remain invariant. That’s why we
can’t speak about the inverse of cubic matrix (which is the important
concept) and the power of cubic matrices. However, for each cubic
stochastic matrix we can associate a quadratic operator acting on the
finite dimensional simplex. By this way, we can consider the similar
problem which was studied in the linear case. For example, due to the
Perron-Frobenius theorem, the trajectory of linear operator associated
with the positive square stochastic matrix converges to a unique fixed
point. It is natural to ask the similar question for quadratic
operators, i.e., does the trajectory of quadratic operator associated
with the positive cubic stochastic matrix converge to a unique fixed
point? However, this is wrong in general. The main reason is that a
quadratic operator associated with positive cubic stochastic matrix may
have many fixed points. The first attempt to provide an example for
quadratic stochastic operators with positive coefficients having three
fixed points was done by A.A. Krapivin (Lyubich’s former graduate
student) and Y.I. Lyubich. However, it turns out that their examples
were wrong. We showed that Krapivin-Lyubich examples have a unique fixed
point. Moreover, we provide an example for a family of quadratic
stochastic operators with positive coefficients which have three fixed
points. Consequently, the question mentioned above does not have an
affirmative answer in general. If it is a case, can we find an
affirmative answer for some class of quadratic operators? The last but
not least, we also provide a class of quadratic stochastic operators
(which are not contraction) in which their trajectory converges a unique
fixed point.

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)