Basic Notions Seminar - Wednesday 25 February, at 16:30

Math Group math at ictp.it
Mon Feb 23 11:43:13 CET 2015

BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR SERIES 2015

Wednesday, 25 February, at 16.30 hrs.

Anton Mellit
(ICTP)

Title: Symmetric polynomials (Basic Notions Seminar)

Abstract:
Symmetric polynomials arise in many different fields, such as
combinatorics, representation theory, analysis, algebraic geometry,
topology, probability, mathematical physics. They are a very powerful
tool for computation because a lot of information can be encoded in
simple expressions. In this lecture I will construct different families
of symmetric polynomials and show how to do simple manipulations with
them. Then I will try to demonstrate the power of symmetric polynomials
in some applications: if time permits, I will compute some integrals,
define zeta function of a dynamical system and compute some determinants.

Venue:  Budinich Lecture Hall (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)