Upcoming QLS seminar

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Wed Apr 22 11:00:23 CEST 2015

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES SEMINAR

THURSDAY, 23 APRIL 2015, 11:00 a.m.
OPPENHEIMER MEETING ROOM - ICTP Leonardo Bldg., second floor

Davide ZOCCOLAN
(Visual Neuroscience Lab, SISSA Trieste)

High-level vision in rats: invariant object recognition and its neuronal
substrates

Abstract

The ability to recognize objects despite tremendous variation in their
appearance (e.g., because of position or size changes) represents such a
formidable computational feat that it is widely assumed to be unique to
primates. Such an assumption has restricted the investigation of its
neuronal underpinnings to primate studies, which allow only a limited
range of experimental approaches. In recent years, the increasingly
powerful array of optical and molecular tools that has become available
in rodents has spurred a renewed interest for rodent models of visual
functions. However, evidence of primate-like visual object processing in
rodents is still very limited and controversial.

In this seminar, I will present behavioral evidence showing that rats
are capable of recognizing visual objects in spite of substantial
variation in their appearance, i.e., in spite of changes in size,
position, illumination, in-depth rotation and in-plane rotation. I will
also show that such a transformation-tolerant (or invariant) recognition
is largely accounted by rat ability to spontaneously perceive different
views/appearances of an object as similar (i.e., as instances of the
same object). Next, I will show that rat object recognition relies on a
shape-based, multi-featural processing strategy that makes
close-to-optimal use of the discriminatory information afforded by the
target objects across their various appearances. Finally, I will present
some preliminary neuronal recordings from rat visual cortical areas that
run laterally into rat temporal lobe, showing that the deepest (i.e.,
higher-order) area conveys more information about object identity (also
in spite of variation in object appearance), when compared to
lower-order (i.e., more occipital) areas (including V1).

Taken together, these findings suggest that the rat visual system may
serve as a powerful model to study the neuronal substrates of invariant
visual object recognition.

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary