NCG seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon Nov 24 09:27:33 CET 2014

NONCOMMUTATIVE GEOMETRY SEMINAR

S. Farnsworth (Perimeter Institute, Canada)

"Connes' Approach to the Standard Model of Particle Physics via
Non-Commutative Geometry"

Thursday 27 Nov. 16:00, SISSA room 136

Connes' notion of non-commutative geometry (NCG) generalizes Riemannian
geometry and yields a striking reinterepretation of the standard model
of particle physics, coupled to Einstein gravity.  In my talk I suggest
a simple reformulation of Connes' approach which resolves a
long-standing problem plaguing the NCG construction of the standard
model, by precisely eliminating from the action the collection of 7
unwanted terms that previously had to be removed by an extra,
non-geometric, assumption. I will also show how this same reformulation
yields a new perspective on the symmetries of a given NCG, which offers
a new solution to the discrepancy between the observed Higgs mass and
the NCG prediction.