Math seminar on Thursday, 20 March

math math at ictp.it
Wed Mar 19 14:36:22 CET 2014

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2014

Thursday, 20 March, at 15:00 hrs

Franziska Schroeter
(Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken)

"Tropical and Enumerative Geometry"

Abstract:

Tropical geometry has nowadays several, different facets related to
algebraic gometry, commutative algebra, symplectic geometry,
optimization, low-dimensional topology, knot theory and physics.
In the context of enumerative geometry the idea is to replace objects
from algebraic geometry by combinatorial objects, we say we tropicalize
these objects. The key feature of tropicalization is that important
information about the objects (related to the problem studied) is conserved.

After a recap of basic notions, I will give an overview of recent
achievements of tropical enumerative geometry and discuss current
directions of research.

VENUE: L. Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo Building