Upcoming ICTP/SISSA Stat.Physics Seminar

Statistical Physics statphys at ictp.it
Tue Jul 8 15:31:48 CEST 2014

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Monday, 21 July 2014 - 16:00 hrs.*
*

ICTP Leonardo Building, Luigi Stasi Lecture Room, first floor

Speaker: Giacomo MARMORINI  (RIKEN

Title:     New Results for Quantum Antiferromagnets in High Magnetic Fields

Abstract:
Frustrated antiferromagnets are a very rich class of physical systems,
in which various
new phases of matter are expected to be realized. From a theoretical
point of view,
however, they present challenging difficulties and typically defy a full
quantum
treatment. A possible strategy is to restrict oneself to a specific
region of the parameter
space, namely the one of high applied magnetic field, where the problem
can be
mapped to a dilute Bose gas of magnons. In this way we can provide
benchmarks for
the latest numerical approaches, such as in the case of the prototypical
spin-1/2
XXZ model on the triangular lattice [1]. In more complicated models with
competing
exchange interactions, we find new types of magnetic order, such as a
double-q state
with striped chiral order [2]. Several problems remain open in this
field-theoretical
approach, in particular three-magnon and four-magnon scattering
amplitudes, which
relate to a recently discovered magnetic "0-pi" phase transition and to
the stability
of the spin nematic phase respectively.

[1] D. Yamamoto, G. Marmorini and I. Danshita, Phys. Rev. Lett. 112
(2014) 127203.
[2] G. Marmorini and T. Momoi, Phys. Rev. B 89, 134425 (2014).