Upcoming ICTP/SISSA Stat.Physics Seminar

Statistical Physics statphys at ictp.it
Tue Jul 8 14:12:08 CEST 2014

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Thursday, 10 July - 11:00 a.m.*
*

SISSA, Santorio Building,  Room 138

Speaker: Marton KORMOS  (Budapest)

Title: Quantum Quenches in the XXZ spin chain and the Generalized Gibbs
Ensemble

Abstract:

Isolated integrable quantum systems do not relax to a thermal state even
locally due
to the extra conserved quantities that they possess. The so-called
Generalized Gibbs
Ensemble (GGE) was proposed to capture the steady state of integrable
systems, but
it has not been put to a stringent test for genuinely interacting systems.
In the talk I will review our work on the non-equilibrium time evolution
of the spin-1/2
anisotropic Heisenberg (XXZ) spin chain, where we found that
short-ranged spin
correlators in the long-time limit deviate significantly from
predictions based on the GGE
hypothesis.
By computing the asymptotic spin correlators within the quench action
formalism based
on exact overlaps, however, we find excellent agreement with the
numerical data. I will
show why this result can be considered as conclusive evidence for the
failure of the GGE
and I will discuss the possible implications of this finding.