Upcoming seminar Tuesday 11 Feb. (Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar)

Statistical Physics statphys at ictp.it
Thu Feb 6 14:56:37 CET 2014

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 11.30 a.m.

ICTP Venue:  	Luigi Stasi Seminar Room
		ICTP Leonardo Building, first floor

Michele CASELLE
University of Torino

Title: "OLD AND NEW RESULTS ON THE THREE DIMENSIONAL ISING MODEL"

Abstract:
--------
We discuss a few old results on the spectrum of the 3d Ising model and
on the behaviour of fluid interfaces in the low temperature phase of the
model which strongly disagree with the predictions of standard
perturbative calculations. Performing a duality transformation (i.e.
mapping the 3d Ising model into a Z_2 gauge theory) we show that these
apparently puzzling results are signatures of an underlying effective
string description of the $Z_2$ gauge model. We then discuss a few
recent advances which drastically changed our understanding of these
effective string theories and allow to precisely fit both the interface
free energy and the low temperature spectrum of the Ising model.