ICTP Mathematics Seminar - 25 February

math math at ictp.it
Tue Feb 4 15:06:42 CET 2014

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2014

Tuesday, 25 February, at 14:00 hrs

Evgeny Shinder (The University of Edinburgh)

"Lines and pairs of points on cubic hypersurfaces"

Abstract: This is joint work with S. Galkin.
Let X be a cubic hypersurface.
We relate the geometry of the symmetric square
Sym^2(X) to the Fano varietiy of lines F(X).
We work in the Grothendieck ring of varieties,
and then take motivic realizations to
compare Hodge structure of F(X) to that of X.
Time permitting, I will talk about relation to rationality
of a cubic fourfold.

VENUE: L. Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo Building