David Ruiz's talk at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Fri Apr 18 10:51:04 CEST 2014

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

David Ruiz (Univ. Granada)

Title: Standing waves for a Gauged Nonlinear Schrödinger Equation: a
variational analysis.

Abstract: This paper is motivated by a gauged Schrödinger equation in
dimension 2 including the so-called Chern-Simons term. At low energies,
the Maxwell term can be dropped, giving rise to a problem proposed by
Jackiw & Pi in 1990.

The study of radially symmetric standig waves leads to a nonlinear
stationary Schrödinger equation involving a nonlocal term. This problem
is the Euler-Lagrange equation of a certain energy functional. In this
talk we will be concerned with the global behavior of such functional.
Time permitting, we shall discuss some existence results of solutions on
large balls which concentrate at the boundary.

This is joint work with Alessio Pomponio (Politecnico di Bari, Italy).

Venue: Thursday 24 April at 2 pm in lecture room 133