Seminar @ DF-TS - Dr. A. Olaya-Castro - Friday September 13th - Quantum effects in vibration-mediated exciton transport

Rosita Glavina Rosita.Glavina at ts.infn.it
Fri Sep 6 13:08:07 CEST 2013

  We are pleased to announce the seminar @ DF-Theoretical Section UniTs:

--------------------------------------

Dr. Alexandra Olaya-Castro

Department of Physics and Astronomy, University College London, UK
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucapaol/

"Quantum effects in vibration-mediated exciton transport"

Friday September 13th - 11.30 am
Stasi Seminar Room - LB, 1st floor

ABSTRACT
The recent experimental observation of coherent electronic dynamics in
the antennae proteins that harvest sunlight in a variety of
photosynthetic organisms have generated a widespread interest in
understanding three important issues: (i) the physical principles
underlying such coherent dynamics, (ii) whether these dynamical effects
can enhance the device performance of biomolecular systems and (iii)
whether they will manifest in conditions of biological relevance. Most
recent theoretical and experimental evidence is indicating that the root
of such oscillatory behaviour is an intertwined electronic and
vibrational dynamics whereby a few specific coherent vibrational motions
mediate excitation energy transfer. In this scenario it is then unclear
whether the manifested coherent behaviour deviates from classical
oscillator coherence. In this talk, I will discuss signatures of
non-classical behaviour in a prototype light-harvesting system where
slow-dephasing intramolecular motions mediate energy transfer and I will
discuss the possible broad implications of our results for the field of
quantum effects in biology [1].

[1] E. J. O’Reilly and A. Olaya-Castro (2013) “Non-classicality of
molecular vibrations activating electronic dynamics at room temperature”
arXiv: 1301.6970