ICTP Mathematics Seminar on Friday May 10

Fernando Rodriguez Villegas villegas at ictp.it
Tue May 7 12:55:59 CEST 2013

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2013

Lothar Goettsche will give a series of approximately 4 lectures of 60
minutes.

Title: Refined curve counting

The second lecture will be on Friday 10.5.2013 at 14:30.

Abstract:
The subject of these lectures is enumerative geometry of curves on
algebraic surfaces and its relation to Hilbert schemes of points, real
algebraic geometry and tropical geometry.
The generating function of the Euler numbers of Hilbert schemes of
points on curves has been used by Pandharipande and Thomas to give a
mathematical definition of Gopakumar-Vafa invariants, and by
Kool-Shende-Thomas to give a proof of a conjecture of mine which
describes the generating function of the numbers of δ-nodal singular
curves in a linear system of dimension δ on any surface. Shende and me
gave a conjectural refinement of this conjecture. Here the number of
curves is replaced by a polynomial, whose meaning is still mysterious,
but it can be seen to be related to tropical geometry and real algebraic
geometry. In this series of lectures we want to explain this circle of
ideas, and also use the opportunity to introduce a number of important
concepts and techniques, generating functions, cobordism ring,
localization, Severi degrees, Welschinger invariants, tropical geometry,
Heisenberg algebra.

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor , ICTP Leonardo Building
--
Fernando Rodriguez Villegas

Mathematics Section
Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics

Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
LB 109
Tel +39 040 2240 581