CM & STAT.PHYS. SEMINAR - Thursday 9 May 2013

de_comel de_comel at ictp.it
Tue May 7 11:23:50 CEST 2013

Kindly take note:

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION
SEMINAR ON DISORDER AND STRONG ELECTRON CORRELATIONS

Thursday, 9 May 2013  -   at 11:30 hrs.

Luigi Stasi Lecture Hall, Leonardo Building (1st floor)

Meera M. PARISH
London Centre for Nanotechnology, UCL, London, U.K.

Magnetotransport in Non-magnetic Inhomogeneous Materials

Abstract:
A substantial magnetodielectric effect is usually an indication
of coupled magnetic and elastic order, such as is found in the
multiferroics. However, here I will show that magnetism is not necessary
to produce either a magnetoresistance or a magneto-capacitance when the
material is inhomogeneous.  From exact
calculations and numerical simulations of metal-dielectric
composites, I find a characteristic dielectric resonance that
sensitively depends on magnetic field. I will discuss how this behaviour
has already been observed experimentally in some
materials.