ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Thursday, 14 February, at 15.00 hrs

Mabilo mabilok at ictp.it
Mon Feb 4 11:44:46 CET 2013

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2013

Thursday, 14 February, at 15.00 hrs.

Sudarshan Gurjar
(ICTP)

Title: Restriction theorems for vector bundles on projective varieties

Abstract:
In the early 80’s, V. Mehta and A. Ramanathan proved two restriction
theorems which proved to be of central importance to the study of vector
bundles in the subsequent years. The theorems roughly state that if X is
a smooth projective variety over a field k = k with a polarisation H and
V is a vector bundle on it which is semistable (resp. stable) w.r.t. H,
then the restriction of V to a general, complete intersection curve of
sufficiently high degree is again semistable (resp stable).

I will explain these theorems in detail and sketch a proof in some
special cases. If time permits some applications will also be discussed.

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor , ICTP Leonardo Building