Mathematics Seminar next week

math math at ictp.it
Thu May 24 10:25:23 CEST 2012

MATHEMATICS SEMINARS - 2012

Tuesday, 29 May, at 14:30 hrs

Professor Xenia de la Ossa
(University of Oxford, U.K.)

"Arithmetic of Calabi-Yau Manifolds"

Abstract:
In this seminar I will give an introduction to the arithmetic of
Calabi-Yau 3-folds.
The main quantities of interest are the numbers of points of the
manifold considered as a manifold over finite fields.  I will be
concerned with the computation of these numbers and their dependence on
the complex structure parameters.  As we will see, these numbers are
given by expressions which involve the periods of the manifold. I will
discuss the form of zeta function of the Dwork pencil of quintic 3-folds
and, time permitting, we will see what happens at singularities and
speculate about what mirror symmetry has to say about the form of the
zeta function.

Venue: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, ICTP Leonardo Building, first floor.