Colloquium Physics Dept. University of Trieste

ennio gozzi ennio.gozzi at gmail.com
Fri May 18 14:22:10 CEST 2012

Title:
"Ettore Majorana (1906-1939): inside and beyond the legend"

Speaker:
Francesco Guerra
Department of Physics, University of Rome “La Sapienza”, and INFN, Sezione
di Roma

Time and Place:
Thursday 24th of May, 16 PM, Lecture Room A, Physics Dept. Via Valerio 2

Abstract
We review some important aspects of the life and activity of Ettore
Majorana, the famous Italian Physicist, who has given important
contributions ranging from atomic and molecular physics to nuclear physics
and elementary particle theory.

This reconstruction is based on original documents, some of which only
recently discovered, and shows a scientific and human personality
completely different from the usual stereotypical and legendary version.

We will point out also some problems related to his disappearance in March
1938, showing the unsoundness of his alleged presence in Germany during
the War, or in Argentine thereafter. The new found documents build up the
evidence that Ettore Majorana passed away in 1939, around one year after
his disappearance.