Special Mathematics Lecture

math math at ictp.it
Fri Jun 8 18:07:55 CEST 2012

SPECIAL MATHEMATICS LECTURE

Thursday, 14 June, at 16:30 hrs

Professor Philip Candelas
(University of Oxford, U.K.)

"Calabi-Yau Manifolds with Hodge Numbers
that are small and large"

Abstract:
Many examples of Calabi-Yau manifolds have been constructed.  These are
partially classified by the Hodge numbers (h^11, h^21).  A plot of these
numbers reveals interesting structure, for the case that the Hodge
numbers are large.  I will 'explain' some of this structure in terms of
the fibration structure of the manifolds.
At the other end of the distribution, finding manifolds with small Hodge
numbers seems to be synonymous with finding manifolds with large groups
of freely acting symmetries.  These seem to be rare.  I will discuss
some constructions of what may be the simplest Calabi-Yau manifolds.

Venue: Main Lecture Hall, ICTP Leonardo Building, entrance level.