prof. Alessandro Pizzo's seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon Sep 19 09:31:06 CEST 2011

MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS SECTOR SEMINARS

Prof. Alessandro Pizzo
(UC Davis)

will hold a seminar on:

"Absence of Embedded Mass Shells: Cerenkov Radiation and Quantum Friction"

Abstract: We show that, in a model where a non-relativistic particle is
coupled to a quantized relativistic scalar Bose field, the embedded mass
shell of the particle dissolves in the continuum when the interaction is
turned on, provided the coupling constant is sufficiently small. More
precisely, under the assumption that the fiber eigenvectors corresponding
to the putative mass shell are differentiable as functions of the total
momentum of the system, we show that a mass shell could exist only at a
strictly positive distance from the unperturbed embedded mass shell near
the boundary of the energy-momentum spectrum. (Joint work with W. De Roeck
and J. Froehlich)

Venue: Tuesday 20 September at 11.30 in lecture room 136 (SISSA Santorio
Building, I floor)