Seminar on Thursday, 15 December

ivanisse ivanisse at ictp.it
Mon Dec 12 12:35:30 CET 2011

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

SEMINAR on
Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 15 December  -   11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room - Leonardo Bldg. - 1st floor

Iacopo CARUSOTTO ( INO-CNR BEC Center and Dipartimento di Fisica,
Universita' di Trento, Povo, Italy )

" Theory and experiments with quantum fluids of light:
from superfluid  hydrodynamics to quantum Hall liquids "

Abstract

A few years after the first observation of Bose-Einstein condensation
in quantum gases of exciton-polaritons in semiconductor microcavities,
these systems turn out to be very promising candidates for the study of
  many-body effects in a novel non-equilibrium context.  In this talk, I
shall first present the recent experiments that have  recently
demonstrated superfluid hydrodynamics effects in polariton  gases and I
shall try to address a few conceptual questions on the  meaning of
superfluidity and Bose-Einstein condensation for non-equilibrium
systems.  In the second part, I will review a few most significant
theoretical  advances towards the generation of strongly correlated
states of photons, from Tonks-Girardeau gases of impenetrable photons in
1D, to  quantum Hall liquids in the presence of artificial magnetic fields.