Tuesday's seminar on Statistical physics

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Oct 13 15:08:59 CEST 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 19 October   -   11:30 hrs.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  ICTP Leonardo Building - 1st floor

 Gianluigi CATELANI     (Yale University, New Haven)

"The pairing resonance:   Experiments, theory and applications"

Abstract

The pairing resonance is an anomaly in the tunneling density of states (TDOS) of superconductors driven to the normal state, at low temperatures and high magnetic fields, by the Zeeman effect.  I will review experiments on thin films and their theoretical explanations.  The position and shape of the pairing resonance depend on the strength and direction of the applied field, and on material properties such as the spin-orbit scattering rate 1/\tau_{so} and the Fermi-liquid parameter G^0, which accounts for the renormalization of the spin susceptibility due to interactions.  We can therefore determine \tau_{so} and G^0 from measurements of the TDOS.  As another application, I will discuss measurements of conduction electron polarization in ferromagnetic films.