Tomorrow's seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Mar 15 11:06:25 CET 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 16 March   -   11:00 hrs.

Lecture Room D - SISSA Main Building

Florian SCHRECK   (Innsbruck)

"Ultracold atoms at IQOQI:6Li40K Fermi-Fermi mixtures & Bose-Einstein
condensation of strontium"

Abstract

In this talk I will present two experiments, one exploring 6Li40K
Fermi-Fermi mixtures and the other quantum degenerate gases of
strontium.

The first experiment has the goal to create a new class of strongly
interacting many-body quantum systems.  To reach this goal, we have
identified the Feshbach resonances of the 6Li40K mixture and used
those resonances to create heteronuclear molecules.  First
experimental steps exploring the strongly interacting regime are
reported.

The second experiment recently created the first Bose-Einstein
condensates of strontium. Our approach to reach this long sought goal
is presented and first steps towards fermionic degeneracy of 87Sr are
reported.