Seminar of the Department of Physics

marzolino at ts.infn.it marzolino at ts.infn.it
Mon Mar 15 09:08:04 CET 2010

Dear professors, researchers and students

I would like to announce the seminar held by Prof. Gian Carlo Ghirardi on
Thursday 18 at 3pm in LUIGI STASI SEMINAR ROOM (Leonardo Building).
Everyone who is interested is welcome.

TITLE:
Can the reduction process peacefully coexist with special relativity?

ABSTRACT:
Travis Norsen has recently reconsidered Bell’s position concerning the
relativistic requirements to be imposed to the reduction process and has
criticized Jarrett’s ideas concerning this matter, ideas which derive from
his proof that Bell’s locality condition requires two logically
independent assumptions. We will show that, in spite of the remarkable
lucidity of Norsen’s arguments and of the fact that some of Jarrett’s
claims are actually inappropriate, the whole problem deserves to be better
focused and critically reconsidered in view of its relevance for the
elaboration of a relativistic theory inducing reductions. In particular,
contrary to Norsen's opinion,  we will stres the conceptual relevance of
distingushing the two locality request whose conjunction is equivalent to
Bell’s locality.

In the second part of the talk, with reference to a specific entangled
system, we will make fully evident the unavoidable contextual nature of
claims concerning space-like separated events and we will take this
opportunity to stress that the conclusion that quantum nonlocality implies
a spooky action at a distance is not fully appropriate.

Best regards,
Ugo Marzolino.

believed to be clean.