Dynamical Systems Seminars this week

math math at ictp.it
Wed Jul 21 10:13:19 CEST 2010

MATHEMATICS SEMINARS 2010

- DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS -

Thursday, 22 July, at 15:00

Professor Isabel Rios
(Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, Brazil)

"Destruction of Horseshoes"

Abstract:
In this talk we discuss some mechanisms of destruction of dynamics.  We
start with a horseshoe and study the variation of the topological
entropy after bifurcating an internal tangency through a one-parameter
family. Using geometrical methods, we prove that, for a big set of
parameters, the topological entropy is a non-increasing function. This
result formalizes the idea that the loss of transversal homoclinic
intersections implies the decreasing of the amount of dynamics.

Venue:
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)

* * * * * * * *

Friday, 23 July

at 14:30

Dr. David Mumo Malonza
(Kenyatta University, Nairobi, Kenya)

"Normal Forms for Local Dynamical Systems"

Abstract:
The set of systems of differential equations that are in normal form
with respect to a particular linear part has the structure of a module
of equivariants, and is best described by giving a Stanley
decomposition of that module.

at 15:10

Dr. Ruifeng Zhang
(Hefei University of Technology, P.R. China)

"Topology and Topological sequence entropy"

Abstract:
Let $X$ be a compact metric space and $T:X\lra X$ be continuous. Let
$h^*(T)$ be the supremum of sequence entropies of $T$ over all
subsequences of $\N$ and $S(X)$ be the set of $h^*(T)$ for all
continuous maps $T$ on $X$. We want to find out the relation between
$S(X)$ and the topology structure of the space $X$.  In this talk I will
introduce some of the recent results about this subject.