Tuesday's seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Jan 13 16:22:48 CET 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 19 January   -   11:00 hrs.

Seminar Room - ICTP Leonardo Building - 1st floor

Robert L. JAFFE   (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge)

"Casimir effects: Physical manifestations of the quantum vacuum"

  Abstract

  The forces and torques among macroscopic objects caused by
fluctuating quantum fields are known as Casimir effects after the
Dutch theoretician who discovered them in the late 1940's.  Recent
high precision experiments and emerging micro-electromechanical
applications have generated great interest in the nature, properties,
and manipulation of Casimir effects.  I will discuss the origins,
interpretation, and computation of Casimir effects.  In particular I
will outline the development of a powerful method to compute Casimir
forces and torques based on classical scattering theory.  I will
survey some of the resul