Cardona second talk; 26/1 Salasnich

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Jan 13 14:30:34 CET 2010

JOINT ICTP/SISSA CONDENSED MATTER SEMINAR

Seminar Room - ICTP Leonardo Building  (first floor)

Wednesday, 20 January -     4:00 p.m.

Manuel CARDONA  ( Max-Planck Institute for Solid State Research,
Stuttgart )

"Effects of isotopic mass and temperature on the optical properties of
semiconductors"

Abstract

The state of the art calculations of the dielectric function of
semiconductors will be reviewed and compared with extant experimental
data. Most of the comparisons available in the literature suffer from
the fact that the calculations are performed with the atoms at fixed
lattice positions, whereas the experimental data are often taken at
room temperature. Even when the latter have been obtained at low
temperatures, close to 0K, they are affected by the zero-point
vibrations, a quantum mechanical effect which can be varied by
changing the isotopic masses of the constituent atoms. In recent years
samples with different isotopic compositions have become available.
Measurements on such samples make possible to determine the
renormalization of the dielectric function and other physical
properties effected by the lattice vibrations (zero point and
temperature effects). This renormalization is particularly large in
crystals with light atoms (diamond, ZnO, GaN), a fact that signals a
rather strong electron phonon interaction. This strong interaction is
responsible for the superconductivity recently observed in boron-doped
diamond (also Si and SiC).

  ===

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 26 January   -   11:00 hrs.

Lecture Room D - SISSA Main Building

Luca SALASNICH    (Università di Padova)

"The amazing unitary Fermi gas"

Abstract

We discuss the amazing properties of the unitary Fermi gas, which is
the dilute and ultracold gas of fermions with infinite scattering
length. Then, we illustrate the zero-temperature density functional of
the unitary Fermi gas we have recently introduced on the basis of
Monte Carlo calculations. This functional includes a gradient term
which is essential to describe accurately the surface effects of the
system, in particular with a small number of atoms. We analyze in
detail the role of this gradient term for the determination of density
profiles and collective modes. Finally, we investigate the low-
temperature thermodynamics of the unitary Fermi gas by using the zero-
temperature spectra of both bosonic collective modes and fermonic
single-particle excitations. We determine the superfluid fraction, the
critical temperature, the first sound and the second sound, comparing
our analytical results with other theoretical predictions and
experimental data.