Seminar of the Department of Physics

marzolino at ts.infn.it marzolino at ts.infn.it
Tue Apr 13 09:42:19 CEST 2010

Dear professors, researchers and students

I would like to announce the seminar held by Gabriel Leon Garcia (Nuclear
Sciences - National Authonomous University of Mexico) on Friday, 16 April,
at 3pm in Room 204 of the Department of Physics (Leonardo Building).
Everyone who is interested is welcome.

TITLE:
The  slow roll  condition and the  amplitude  of the primordial spectrum
of cosmic  fluctuations: Contrast  between the standard account and the
"collapse  scheme"

ABSTRACT:
In  series  of recent  works it has been  argued that the
inflationary paradigm   is not  fully justified in terms of the
rules of quantum theory  as applied to  the cosmological setting  and
that  an extra element,  something akin to a self induced  collapse of
the wave function is  required.  In this talk we  will  review the
manner  in  which one obtains the  estimation of the  magnitude  of
the  perturbations within the collapse proposal and compare it with
one of the most popular approaches. In particular we will focus on the
overall scale of the fluctuations which, in the standard treatment
turns out to be inversely proportional to the slow roll parameter.
This fact requires a fine-tuning of the inflaton potential. We will
discuss how the collapse hypothesis includes a collapse scheme that
bypasses the problem, but we will see that the price seems to a be a
teleological, and thus unphysical, fine tuning of the characteristics
of collapse.

Best regards,
Ugo Marzolino.

believed to be clean.