Joint seminar Ljubljana-Trieste

Emilia Mezzetti mezzette at units.it
Tue Nov 24 13:56:20 CET 2009

UNIVERSITA' DEGLI STUDI DI TRIESTE
DIPARTIMENTO DI MATEMATICA E INFORMATICA  - DMI

Joint Mathematical Seminar Ljubljana - Trieste

Tuesday, 1st December 2009, at 3.00 p.m.

Prof. Tomaz  Kosir (Univerza v Ljubljani)

Eigenvalue problems in several variables

Venue: Seminar Room of DMI (room 334, H2 building, Via Valerio 12/1,
3rd floor).
Everybody interested is much welcome to attend.
Coffee and tea will follow.

Abstract.
We will consider a system of eigenvalue problems
\begin{equation}\label{eq1}
\left(\sum_{i=1}^n\lambda_j A_{ij}\right) v_i=B_iv_i,\ i=1,2,\ldots,n,
\end{equation}
where $A_{ij},B_i$ are linear maps, $v_i$ vectors, and $\lambda_j$
eigenvalue parameters. For $n=1$ we obtain the
generalized form of the standard eigenvalue problem.

Classically, such systems occured when separation of variables was
used to study boundary value problems
for elliptic partial differential equations. Recently, they appeared
in a few engineering problems.
In the talk we will discuss motivation, explain Atkinson's approach
to study systems of eigenvalue problems (\ref{eq1})
and then review some of the recent results.

--
Prof. Emilia Mezzetti

Dipartimento di Matematica e Informatica
Universita' di Trieste
Via Valerio 12/1
34127 Trieste, Italia

Stanza 227, II piano
e-mail: mezzette at units.it
tel. studio (+39) 040 558 2650
skype: emiliamezzetti
tel. Segreteria Dip.: (+39) 040 558 2635 oppure 2618
fax: (+39) 040 558 2636
http://www.dmi.units.it/~mezzette/