Seminar 11 Nov. - Stat.Phys.

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Nov 6 11:14:45 CET 2009

  INFORMAL SEMINAR on
Statistical Physics

Seminar Room - ICTP Leonardo Building   (first floor)

Wednesday, 11 November -     4:00 p.m.

Gregory SCHEHR    ( Universite' de Paris-Sud, Orsay )

"From vicious walkers to random matrix theory:   A path-integral
approach"

  Abstract

Vicious, i.e. non-intersecting, random walkers have been studied in
various physical situations, ranging from wetting and melting to
stochastic growth processes.  In this talk, I will present a method
based on path integrals associated to free Fermions models to study
such statistical models.  In particular I will show how this allows
for a physical derivation of the connection between certain
constrained vicious walkers and random matrix theory.  Besides I will
use this method to calculate exactly the distribution of the maximal
height of p vicious walkers with and without a wall.