SISSA Colloquium

Alex Meehan alex at sissa.it
Tue Feb 10 14:01:15 CET 2009

  SISSA COLLOQUIUM
==---------------------------------------------------------------==
    February 12, 16:30 - Lecture Room D, SISSA main building

Prof. Giacinto Scoles

Condensed Matter Sector, SISSA
Elettra Nano Innovation Laboratory (SENIL) e
LAb. for NAno Drug Delivery, Diagnostics & Analysis (LANADA at CBM)

SURFACE CONFINED PROTEINS: FROM BIOPHYSICS TO MEDICAL DIAGNOSTICS.

I will first briefly review several methods to confine on the
nanoscale a protein to a surface. I will then review the few methods
available for the nanoscale surface confinement of protein in well-known
orientations.
Finally I will discuss how to show that a given protein bound to
a surface is still biochemically active.
Having now all the tools that are needed to use the measurement of
molecular height for fundamental and practical problems I am going
to discuss two scientific/technical applications:
a) The measurement of binding energies in protein-small molecule
  recognition events and b) The detection of bio-markers, i.e., (mostly)
protein-like
  molecules the presence or absence of which in a body fluid is
  indicative of a certain illness.
Finally, I will speculate on the implications of our research for the
implementation of both large scale proteomics and large scale
application of combinatorial chemistry to drug design and discovery.

The seminar will be preceded by a get-together at 4.10pm in front of
room D for tea and coffee.