Thursday seminar

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Mon Feb 9 14:00:21 CET 2009

SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 12 February      -  11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

S.R. MANMANA  ( Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne )

" Time evolution of correlations in strongly interacting fermions and
bosons "

Abstract

Using the adaptive time-dependent density matrix renormalization
group, we study the time evolution of strongly correlated bosonic and
fermionic systems on one-dimensional lattices pushed out of
equilibrium. In particular, we investigate a system of interacting
spinless fermions after a sudden change in the interaction strength
and a system of soft- core bosons modeled by the Bose-Hubbard model
released from a trapping box-potential. By considering the momentum
distribution function of the bosonic system, we demonstrate the
formation of (quasi-)coherent matter waves emerging from an initial
Mott insulating state over a wide range of the interaction strength
between the particles. In the fermionic system, we find the density
correlations to exhibit a characteristic light-cone-like time
evolution which is representative of a ballistic transport of
information. Such behavior is observed both

when quenching an insulator into the metallic region and also when
quenching within the insulating region, but not  when a metallic
state is quenched deep into the insulating regime. Instead, stable
domain walls in the density correlations emerge during the time
evolution, consistent with the predictions of the Kibble-Zurek
mechanism.