Monday's seminar

CM cm at ictp.it
Thu Apr 16 11:38:04 CEST 2009

CONDENSED MATTER AND  STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR

Monday, 20 April   -    11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room -  Leonardo Bldg. - first floor

Victor KAGALOVSKY   (Sami Shamoon College of Engg., Beer-Sheva)

"Spin quantum Hall effect in  class C superconductors and  quantum spin
Hall effect in graphene"

Abstract

We study a delocalization transition in a system of noninteracting
quasiparticles moving in two dimensions, which belongs to a new symmetry
class C.  This symmetry class can be realized in a dirty, gapless
superconductor in which time-reversal symmetry for orbital motion is
broken, but spin-rotation symmetry is intact. In this class spin current
is transferred by electron-hole pairs.  Further, we consider a
three-dimensional realization of class C. In the last part of the talk,
we discuss application of the generalized Chalker-Coddington network
model to the quantum spin Hall effect in graphene, which differs
significantly from class C.  In particular, spin current is transferred
by electrons with opposite spins moving in the opposite directions.