Prof. Cattabriga's seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Tue Apr 7 12:56:35 CEST 2009

MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS SECTOR SEMINARS

Speaker:    Alessia Cattabriga
                  (Università di Bologna)

Title:        "Algebraic representation of links"

Abstract: A link in a 3-dimensional manifold is a 1-dimensional
submanifold homeomorphic to the disjoint union of a finite number of
circles. We describe how, using the notion of (g,b)-decompositions,  it
is possible to represent links via the elements of the mapping class
group of punctured surfaces. Moreover, we analyze how this
representation can be utilized to calculate some  link invariants.

Wed. 20 May at 11.30 in SISSA lecture room D

--
Dr. Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth
Secretary of Mathematical Physics and Elementary Particle sectors
tuillier at sissa.it