Seminar tomorrow

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue May 6 08:43:56 CEST 2008

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Wednesday, 7 May    -    12:30 hrs.

Lecture Room 'D' - SISSA Main Building

C.J. SCHOUTENS   ( University of Amsterdam )

" Superfrustration of lattice fermions "

Abstract

The term superfrustration refers to massive ground state degeneracy in
supersymmetric lattice models for itinerant fermions with strong
repulsive interactions, in dimension D>1.  In general, quantum phases
of lattice fermions are hard to track, due to lack of analytic methods
and fundamental difficulties in numerical analysis.  I will show how
supersymmetry improves this situation and leads to exact results on the
number and nature of quantum gound states.  Superfrustration is
established by showing that on a variety of 2D lattices the
supersymmetric model has extensive ground state entropy. For the 2D
square lattice I demonstrate the existence of critical edge
excitations.