EARTH SYSTEM PHYSICS SEMINAR

Pandora Malchose Pieri pandora at ictp.it
Mon Jun 30 11:37:17 CEST 2008

EARTH SYSTEM PHYSICS
EXTERNAL SEMINAR SERIES 2008

Wednesday, 2 July  2008
Seminar Room, LB 1st floor, 11:00 hrs

Vikram SONI
National Physical Laboratory
New Delhi
ICTP Senior Associate

"TIME RESPONSE OF THE EARTH'S TEMPERATURE, HEAT RETAINED AND SEA
LEVEL RISE TO GREENHOUSE WARMING"

Abstract

We provide a solution for the time dependence of the earth's surface
temperature when we change the greenhouse profile of the earth's
atmosphere. We do this by approximating the thermal capacity of the
earth
to be that of the top layer of the ocean above the thermocline layer. We
find the new steady state temperature of the earth adapts to the new
emissivity with a time constant of 8 -13 years. We calculate the
average heat
sequestered by the earth per year and compare it to the empirical change
in sea level per year due to thermal expansion from ocean warming.

Everyone is welcome.