INFORMAL SEMINAR on Statistical Physics: " Who is keeping you in that community? "

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue Jul 15 10:06:39 CEST 2008

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR  on  Statistical Physics

Thursday, 17 July    -    11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Bldg.- first floor

M. MUNGAN
( Bogazici University )

" Who is keeping you in that community? "

Abstract

It is a common experience that groups of people with tight
inter-relations can be easily formed or dissolved. These groups are not
however restricted to social environments; they can be found in systems
ranging from protein interaction networks to the Web and can be seen as
manifestations of complexity. Within the framework of graph theory such
groups are known as clusters or communities and many techniques have
been proposed to detect them.

In this talk I will show that a recently introduced inference method on
networks is able not only to determine clusters but also to measure the
extent to which each element influences the group membership of its
neighbors. We demonstrate the generality and relevance of this
information-based hierarchy with several real-world examples. This is
joint work with Jose Javier Ramasco of ISI Torino.

ooooooooooooo ----- ooooooooooooo

Ms. M. Poropat
Secretary
Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
The Abdus Salam International
   Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11
34014 Trieste
Italy

Telephone: +39-040-2240540
Telefax: +39-040-2240354 or 224163

\_ |             You may want to visit our Home Page       |
    |    http://www.ictp.it/pages/research/cmsp.html        |
    |             to learn more about us.                   |