to be announced

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue Jul 1 14:10:55 CEST 2008

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR  on  Statistical Physics

Thursday, 3 July    -    11:00 a.m.

Seminar Room,  Leonardo Bldg.- first floor

M. ALAVA   ( Helsinki University of Technology )

" Statistical physics in fracture "

Abstract

In this talk I review two current problems where statistical mechanics
and fracture meet (see Adv. Phys. 55, 349 (2006).  The first is the
so-called size effect, which measures the strength of a sample as a
function of its size.  This can be addressed both in the traditional
FSS sense - becoming an extremal statistics problem - and in the
presence of one defect, a notch (Phys. Rev. Lett. 100,  055502 (2008)).
  I present some recent results on the application of scaling theory and
extensive simulations of simple fracture models to illustrate the
fundamental role of disorder here.  The second problem is the creep of
a fracture line. I discuss experiments done at HUT using the so-called
peel-in-nip geometry to split paper in two (Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 145504
(2007)) in the creep setup, or under a constant external force.  The
scenario can be used to test fundamental results in the theory of
elastic manifolds in random media, in particular the depinning of lines
with long-range elasticity.  Listening to the dynamics via acoustic
emission measurements allows to look at the temporal dynamics with high
accuracy.