For distribution - thanks

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Fri Feb 15 08:58:06 CET 2008

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 19 February    -    12:30 hrs.

Lecture Room 'D' - SISSA Main Building

P. FENDLEY  ( University of Virginia, Charlottesville )

" Topological quantum computation from non-abelian anyons "

Abstract

I discuss how systems with non-abelian anyons can be used to build a
topological quantum computer. Operations are performed by braiding the
anyons; because the outcome of braiding is a purely topological
property, such quantum computers should be robust against local errors.
I will give several examples of how such anyons arise in fractional
quantum Hall systems and in quantum loop models.