For distribution

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Fri Feb 1 14:37:42 CET 2008

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR  on  Statistical Physics

Tuesday, 5 February    -    3:00 p.m.

New Meeting Room  -  Main Building - second floor

P. SHUKLA    ( North Eastern Hill University, Shillong )

" Dynamics of k-core percolation "

Abstract

We shall discuss the following problem: A fully occupied lattice is
subjected to a sequence of random attacks.  Each attack removes a site
at random and recursively removes all other sites that have less than k
nearest neighbors. Random attacks continue till the  lattice is empty.
The entire sequence of events is characterized by the size of avalanche
(total number of sites removed) in each attack a1, a2, a3, ..... Some
questions of interest are: (i) the distribution of avalanche sizes,
(ii)  the size of the last avalanche that empties the lattice, and the
nature of fluctuations just before the lattice is emptied. We attempt
to answer these questions by numerical simulations as well as exact
solutions on a tree and place this work in the broader context of first
order phase transitions that are preceded by critical fluctuations.