Math. Phys. Seminar

Boris Dubrovin dubrovin at sissa.it
Mon Nov 19 17:24:01 CET 2007

				Mathematical Physics Seminar

Friday, November 23, at 14:30 - 15:30, Room C of SISSA Main Building

				Prof. S.Dobrokhotov

Institute for Problems in Mechanics of Russian Academy of Sciences

&  Dept. of Nanotechnology and Informatics
of Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology

		Propagation of Gaussian wave packets
in quantum thin  periodic waveguides with nonlocal Hartree-type
nonlinearity

Abstract

We consider nonlinear Schroedinger equation with an integral Hartree-
type nonlinearity in thin waveguide. We study propagation of Gaussian
wave packets localized in the space. In the case of periodically
changing walls of the waveguide we establish the relationship between
the behavior of wave packets and spectral properties of some
additional 1-D periodic linear Sturm-Liouville problem. We show that
in the case of positive nonlinear term in contrary  to linear
situation  the wave packets may not spread. Moreover we show that the
wave packets can be periodically focused in space and time depending
on the spectrum of the mentioned 1-D periodic problem.  This work was
done jointly with J.Bruening, R.Nekrasov and A.Shafarevich).