SPECIAL SEMINAR on Statistical Physics

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Mon Nov 19 10:19:31 CET 2007

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

SPECIAL SEMINAR  on  Statistical Physics

Tuesday, 20 November    -    2:30 p.m.

Room C - Main Building Terrace Level

A. SAMAL
( University of Delhi )

" System level dynamics and robustness of the genetic network
regulating E.coli metabolism "

Abstract
In this talk, I will present some of the results obtained by studying
the large scale transcriptional regulatory network controlling E. coli
metabolism containing 583 genes and 96 external metabolites as a
Boolean dynamical system. We have studied how the attractors of the
boolean dynamical system depend on the initial condition of the genes
and on various environmental conditions. We find that the nature of the
attractors endows the cell with both stability for a fixed environment
and flexibility to adapt to changes in the environment. We comment on
design features of the system that are responsible for these observed
system level properties. In particular, I will reflect upon our results
obtained by studying this real genetic network as opposed to those
obtained earlier by studying random boolean networks.