Forthcoming Mathematics Seminars at ICTP

Math math at ictp.it
Wed Mar 28 11:44:28 CEST 2007

M A T H E M A T I C S  S E M I N A R S  2007

Wednesday, 4 April, at 14:30 hrs.

Dr. Carlos Castano-Bernard
(ICTP)

"On the index of the subgroup generated by the Heegner divisors"

Venue: Seminar room (ICTP Main Building, first floor)

***

Tuesday, 10 April, at 14:00 hrs.

Professor Debashish Goswami
(Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, India)

"Quantum Group of Isometries in Classical and Noncommutative Geometry"

Abstract:

We formulate a quantum generalization of the notion of the group of
Riemannian isometries for a compact Riemannian manifold, by
introducing a
natural notion of smooth and isometric action by a compact quantum group
on a classical or noncommutative manifold described by spectral triples,
and then proving the existence of a universal object (called the quantum
isometry group) in the category of compact quantum groups acting
smoothly
and isometrically on a given (possibly noncommutative) manifold. Our
formulation accommodates spectral triples which are not of type II. We
give explicit description of quantum isometry groups of commutative and
noncommutative tori, and in this context, observe an interesting quantum
group structure on a $C^*$ algebra which is a direct sum of commutative
two-torus and irrational rotation algebra.

Venue: Seminar room (ICTP Main Building, first floor)