For distribution - thanks

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Mon Mar 26 12:23:57 CEST 2007

SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 29 March   -    11:00 a.m.

Lecture Room 'C',  Main Bldg.- terrace level

M. SCHIRO'   ( S.I.S.S.A./I.S.A.S. )

"How can superconductivity emerge out of a pseudo-gap metal: A novel
scenario"

Abstract

	Motivated by the physics of cuprates, many attempts have been recently
done to understand how high temperature superconductivity may emerge
out of a pseudo-gap metal.  The puzzle lies in the fact that one should
naively expect that a pseudo-gap in the normal phase cuts off the
singularity of the Cooper channel.  Consequently a very strong pairing
mechanism would be required to turn the pseudo-gap metal into a high
temperature superconductor.  A similar scenario, although in a
different context from cuprates, was recently discovered, in the
framework of the so-called Strongly Correlated Superconductivity (SCS),
solving by Dynamical Mean Field Theory (DMFT) a two-orbital Hubbard
model with a Jahn-Teller pairing mechanism.  The DMFT phase diagram has
revealed a very rich phenomenology where a superconductor with an huge
gap and a large Drude weight comes out of a pseudo-gapped Non Fermi
Liquid phase just close to a singlet Mott insulator.  To get a further
insight into such an appealing scenario, we present in this talk a
simple analytical ansatz for the low-energy part of the self-energy in
this model.  Our approach mainly relies on the physical idea that
symmetry breaking provides the system with a low-energy scale,
identified with the superconducting gap, that regularizes all
non-Fermi-liquid singularities of the normal phase, thus restoring
well-defined quasiparticles within the superconducting phase.  Within
this scenario, superconductivity seems to be the natural fate of the
pseudo-gap metal at low temperature, rather then a competitor.  To
check the ansatz we compare our model self-energy with data coming from
DMFT as well as from a closely related impurity model.  While the
former only partially confirm our approach, mainly due to the limited
energy resolution of DMFT data, the latter strongly support our
scenario.