SEMINAR on Disorder and strong electron correlations: "Spin Hall effects in HgTe Quantum Well Structures"

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue Dec 4 15:35:57 CET 2007

CONDENSED MATTER SECTION

SEMINAR on

Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 6 December   -    16:00 hrs.

Seminar Room,  Main Building - First floor

L. W. MOLENKAMP
(Universität Würzburg)

"Spin Hall effects in HgTe
Quantum Well Structures"

Abstract
Spin-orbit interaction (SOI) in 2DEGs causes many interesting and
potentially useful effects, such as the generation of an intrinsic spin
accumulation polarized normal to the 2DEG at the edges, caused by the
presently very topical spin-Hall effect [1]. So far no direct evidence
for the intrinsic SHE has been obtained by transport experiments. Here,
we demonstrate that in specially designed nanostructures [2], which are
  based on narrow gap HgTe type-III quantum wells (QW), a detection of
the spin  signal is possible via voltage measurements.
Recently, it was pointed out that inverted HgTe QW structurescan be
regarded as non-trivial insulators[3], in which the quantum spin Hall
insulator state[4]  should occur. In this state, a pair of spin
polarized helical edge channels  develops when the bulk of the material
is insulating, leading to a quantized  conductance. We will discuss our
recent transport measurements on gated low  density HgTe QWs that yield
a first evidence for the existence of this effect.