SEMINAR on Disorder and strong electron correlations: "Transport of interacting electrons through a potential barrier: nonperturbative RG approach"

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Tue Dec 4 15:30:02 CET 2007

CONDENSED MATTER SECTION

SEMINAR on

Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 6 December   -    11:00 hrs.

Seminar Room,  Main Building - First floor

D. ARISTOV
(TKM, Karlsruhe University)

"Transport of interacting electrons through a potential barrier:
nonperturbative RG approach"

Abstract

We calculate the linear response conductance of electrons in a
Luttinger liquid with arbitrary interaction g_{2}, and subject to a
potential barrier of arbitrary strength, as a function of temperature
and/or the length of interaction region. Our result agrees with known
limiting cases. We first map the Hamiltonian in the basis of scattering
states into an effective low energy Hamiltonian in current algebra
form. Analyzing the perturbation theory in the fermionic representation
the diagrams contributing to the renormalization group (RG)
beta-function are identified. The universal part of beta-function is
given by a ladder series and is summed to all orders in g_{2}. The
RG-equation for  temperature dependent conductance is solved
analytically.  A non-universal part of beta-function beyond the ladder
series is discussed and compared to the recent exact solution of the
problem.