Thurs seminar

ICTP info point info_pt at ictp.it
Tue Nov 28 11:55:58 CET 2006

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR on

Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 30 November    -    11:00 a.m.

Lecture Room 'C',  Main Bldg.- terrace level

F. FRANCHINI  ( The Abdus Salam I.C.T.P. )

" The emptiness formation probability: Going beyond the Luttinger
liquid model "

Abstract

The Emptiness Formation Probability (EFP) is a very important
correlation function in the theory of integrable models.  In
One-Dimension, it measures the probability that a region of length n
will present no particles.  For spin chains, the Jordan-Wigner
transformation maps the EFP into the Probability of Formation of
Ferromagnetic Strings (PFFS), i.e. the probability that a string of n
spins are all aligned in one direction.  The configuration measured by
the EFP is in general very different from the equilibrium one.  Because
of this, the EFP is an ideal example of a correlator that cannot be
captured by a bosonization approach, since it requires contributions
from the whole spectrum of the system.  In the first part of the talk,
we will present an alternative (exact) way to calculate the EFP for the
anisotropic XY model at zero temperature, by representing this
correlator as the determinant of a Toeplitz matrix.  Using the
literature on Toeplitz determinants, we will be able to calculate the
asymptotic behavior of the EFP in the different regions of the phase
diagram of the XY model.  In the second part of the talk, we will
introduce a hydrodynamic description of integrable models at zero
temperature, that will allow us to calculate the EFP for simple
systems.  This hydrodynamic approach is a collective description of the
system that takes naturally into account the curvature of the spectrum,
at the cost of dealing with a non-linear theory.  This approach could
be used to describe other effects beyond the Luttinger Liquid model,
for instance the higher energy corrections to the exact Spin-Charge
separation prediction for low-lying excitations.