Next week's seminar

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Fri Nov 17 13:39:53 CET 2006

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR on  Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 23 November    -    11:00 a.m.

Lecture Room 'C',  Main Bldg.- terrace level

M. PUSTILNIK   ( Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta )

"One-dimensional fermions beyond the Luttinger liquid paradigm"

Abstract

In this presentation I will review our recent work on dynamic
correlations in a system of one-dimensional fermions with a nonlinear
dispersion.  It turns out that in the presence of interactions the
nonlinear dispersion results in new universal features in the frequency
and the wave vector dependence of the dynamic structure factor
(density-density correlation function). These features are similar in
origin to the well-known Fermi-edge singularities in the X-ray
absorption spectra of metals.  Besides being of interest for its own
sake,  detailed understanding of the structure factor is crucial for
the description of a variety of transport phenomena that owe their
existence to the particle-hole asymmetry, such as Coulomb drag,
thermopower, and photovoltaic effect, as well as for the description of
inelastic neutron scattering off antiferromagnetic spin chains.