SEMINAR @ SISSA, SBP, M. Baiesi 15/05/2006 at 9.30 room D

Barbara Corzani corzani at sissa.it
Wed May 10 14:55:40 CEST 2006

STATISTICAL AND BIOLOGICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Dott. Marco Baiesi
(K.U. Leuven University - Theoretical Physics Section)

Title:
""Earthquakes, solar flares, and self-organized criticality"

Mon. 15 May 2006  @  9.30  a.m.

SISSA - Basement floor - room D

We consider the possibility that earthquakes, solar flares, and
similar intermittent phenomena are different manifestations of a
general mechanism known as self-organized criticality (SOC). The idea
is that avalanches of nonlinear relaxations are a dominating aspect
that drive non-equilibrium systems to a regime with long-range
correlations, like at equilibrium critical points.  Simple cellular
automata of the "sandpile" kind are often used to illustrate what is
SOC and can help in the modeling of such complex phenomena.  However,
they do not always display a completely satisfactory phenomenology.
For example, time series of uncorrelated events are generated by some
sandpiles.  We discuss these shortcomings and the improvements that
can be made on these models.  Some upgraded yet simple models indeed
better reproduce the spatio-temporal complexity of real critical
phenomena.  Keeping an eye on physical aspects, an outlook of
possible developments is given.