seminar at SISSA

ICTP info point info_pt at ictp.it
Mon Mar 13 10:49:43 CET 2006

From: tuillier at sissa.it

SISSA COLLOQIUM

Dott. A. Tanzini (Mathematical Physics)

"Learning to count with Topological Field Theories"

Abstract:
We will discuss how some topological invariants are naturally described
by physical theories.
This leads to new unexpected relationships between different invariants
as well as new ways to compute them.
We will start with a brief survey of Chern-Simons theory and knot
invariants. Then we will describe the computation of four-manifold
invariants via localisation on the instanton moduli spaceand discuss
their relationship with Gromov-Witten invariants. Finally we will
comment on the recent attempts toward the unification of topological
field theories.

WEDNESDAY, 22 MARCH, 14:30, LECTURE ROOM D.