[RegCNET] Precipitation rate to mm

Syed Ahsan Ali ahsanshah01 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 04:34:38 CET 2013

You can convert Kg per square meter to mm by using the fact that 1 Kg of
water occupies a volume of 1,000 cm^3. If you have 1000 cm^3 of water
spread over 1 square meter (which is 100cm x 100cm = 10^4 cm^2) it would
would be 0.1 cm high, or 1 mm. Hence 1 Kg/m^2 of rainfall is equaivalent to
1 mm.
Hence
kg m-2 day -1=1 mm/day

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Marcus De Andre Williams
<moneymd at uga.edu>wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> Can anyone advise me on converting the precipitation rate, which has units
> of kg/m^2day, in the tpr  variable in the SRF file to mm. My initial
> attempts are giving me values that seem to be out of line for my analysis
> region. I was dividing the tpr by the density of water and then multiplying
> by the number of days in my analysis period. For instance I compiled all
> the January totals for a period say 11 years so I would multipy by 31 days
> which should leave me with meters as the unit, then I would multipy by
> 1,000 to get the desired units of mm. Any guidance would be greatly
> appreciated.

Syed Ahsan Ali Bokhari
Electronic Engineer (EE)

Research & Development Division
Pakistan Meteorological Department H-8/4, Islamabad.
Phone # off  +92518358714
Cell # +923155145014