[RegCNET] Stagnant upper atmosphere in RegCM?

giorgi giorgi at ictp.it
Mon May 23 15:35:17 CEST 2011

Hi Maurice

we just checked and it looks like the vertical velocity is set to 0 at the
model top, i.e. the model has a rigid lid in sigma coordinates. This may
affect the stagnant conditions in the upper atmosphere.

My sugegstion would be to raise the model top as high as possible (in the
past we used up to 10hPa) and increase the resolution in the upper
atmosphere, say above 200 mb, leaving the troposphere as in the standard
version. maybe youc an add, just as an experiment, some 10 layers above
say 250 mb, Also remember to have smooth transitions of layer depths,
which actually seems like you have. You
may
also want to use relatively large domains to allow the model to work its
internal physics. How large is your domain? and what resolution?

cheers,   F.

  > Filippo,
>
> Thank you for your email.  In our simulations, the model top is set at 44hPa so it's fairly close to the normal range.  We are using 23 levels, which we have redistributed to give more resolution toward the top of the model (see list of pressure levels below).  Would this cause any of the problems we are seeing?  Should we increase the number of levels (per the attached discussion), keeping the lower levels intact?  Would increasing the number of levels have any adverse effects on the model physics?
>
> The levels in the ICBC files are:
> 1005.74
> 983.45
> 941.93
> 878.52
> 797.89
> 705.67
> 608.05
> 516.75
> 439.21
> 373.37
> 317.48
> 270.07
> 229.88
> 195.85
> 167.03
> 142.58
> 121.79
> 104.12
> 89.10
> 76.26
> 65.24
> 55.80
> 47.72

# Filippo Giorgi, Head                                         #
# Earth System Physics Section                                 #
# The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics #
# P.O. BOX 586, (Strada Costiera 11 for courier mail)          #
# 34100 Trieste, ITALY                                         #
# Phone: + 39 040 2240 425                                     #
# Fax: + 39 040  2240 449                                      #
# email: giorgi at ictp.it                                        #